Coverage for Retirees
The Plan offers eligible employees an opportunity to enroll in the Early Retirement Incentive
ERIP provides coverage for you and your covered eligible dependents until your 65th birthday on
basis, if you retire before your 65th birthday and meet certain criteria determined by the Board
Generally, you will be eligible for ERIP coverage if you meet the following guidelines:
- You must have Unit 1 coverage in the month immediately preceding the month in which the ERIP
coverage begins. The coverage available under ERIP is the same coverage you had in the month
immediately preceding the month in which the ERIP coverage begins. Please note: If you are
to pay any portion of your health insurance, as per your Collective Bargaining Agreement,
enroll in health care benefits during the open enrollment period. You should select the same
during open enrollment that you are interested in purchasing through the ERIP Program. For
you only elect employee coverage on the Open Enrollment Election form, then you can only
(employee) coverage for ERIP.
You must advise the Health and Welfare office of your intent to begin coverage under the
by submitting a completed enrollment form, no later than your last day of work.
- You are not eligible for Medicare.
- You must work one day in the calendar year in which the ERIP coverage begins.
- You must meet the criteria listed under a., b., or c. below:
- If you are 62-64 years of age and have twenty (20) years of continuous participation
in this Health
and Welfare Fund
- If you are 62-64 years of age and have twenty (20) years of continuous employment
contributing employer (or a predecessor employer) if the employer has contributed to
the Health and
Welfare Fund for at least ten (10) years.
- If you are 62-64 years of age, have twenty (20) years of service under one or more
of the following
Pension Plans, and are eligible, as well as approved for an early or normal
retirement benefit from
one or more of the following Pension Plans:
- UFCW Local 655 Food Employers Joint Pension Plan
- UFCW Midwest Pension Plan
- UFCW Local 534 Grocery Pension Plan
- UFCW Local 534 Meat Pension Plan
You fully meet any other optional eligibility guidelines that may be established by the Trustees
of the Welfare
If you are eligible under the ERIP, you must pay one-half (½) of your monthly retiree health
care coverage until
you reach age sixty-five (65).
You should contact the Welfare Fund office for information about eligibility if you have
questions about ERIP
coverage. The Trustees reserve the right to modify or discontinue the provisions of the Early
Incentive Program at their discretion.
As with all of the benefits provided under this Plan, the benefits provided to retirees and
dependents are not guaranteed to continue. The Trustees reserve the right and discretion to
reduce or terminate those benefits, as they deem appropriate.